Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Just-like-Skor Bars

I started a new job right before Christmas. At this workplace they have a neat (but potentially deadly) custom: Treat Day! Every week, three people are assigned the task to bring in treats. At 10 am on Fridays, everyone congregates in the lunch room for coffee and treats. It's a way to socialize. Loving to cook, I couldn't wait for it to be my turn! When someone was not available, I was asked to step in. One of the treats I decided to make was Just-like-Skor Bars!

IMG_9775

Just-like-Skor Bars
Just-like-Skor bars taste... just like Skor! I used to make them regularly but hadn't made them in a few years. That's why I was shocked by the amount of butter! I know my sister has made a version with matzo instead with success also.

* 1 cup butter (do not replace with margarine)
* 1 sleeve salted soda crackers - I ended using more to completely cover the cookie sheet
* ¾ brown sugar, packed
* 1-½ semi- sweet or milk chocolate chips

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Place the crackers in a single layer, salted side up.
In a small pot, melt butter and brown sugar until dissolved.
Pour hot mixture evenly over crackers and bake at 350F for 13 minutes.
Melt the chocolate over hot water.
Pour the chocolate over the crackers and spread evenly.
Score bars or squares while chocolate is still hot (this really helps breaking the bars later).
Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Peel off paper and break into bars.
Tada!

IMG_9771 IMG_9772
IMG_9773 IMG_9774
Melting butter and sugar and pouring it over the saltines.

IMG_9776
This recipe never fails and tastes great!

IMG_9779
I also made ginger snaps for Treat Day!

1 comment:

Gastronomer said...

Thanks for the recipe, Nina. If I gain a few pounds before the big day, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!