Saturday, December 12, 2009

Chopped Greek Salad

Not only did I wait very long to make this recipe that I spotted on the blog Use Real Butter, it also took me a very long time to write about it. I have been distracted by a new job and a gym membership. But I will try to end the year off not too weakly, and a visit to my mother's for the holidays should help any blog blues!

Back to the recipe! When I saw this recipe, it really appealed to me because I like Greek salads very much and I was intrigued by the chopping component. I believe I have some slight OCD tendencies, which really comes out in the kitchen when I'm chopping. I can spend a lot of time, obsessively chopping food in small, uniform pieces. My sister and mom can attest to that. But other than feeding my chopping needs, it was a very tasty salad. I really enjoyed being able to taste each ingredient in one bite, and experiencing the salty (feta, olives), crunchy (pita croutons), fresh (cucumber, tomato, peppers) and creamy (avocado) components at the same time.

IMG_9168

Chopped Greek Salad - Serves 2
Adapted from Use Real Butter's Chopped Greek Salad. As I mentioned, I really liked the addition of the pita croutons which reminded me of a fattoush salad.

For pita croutons
* 1 pita, sliced in small squares
* olive oil
* salt
* dried oregano
* garlic powder
* lemon zest

Place the small pieces of pita in a bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil making sure to coat most of them.
Sprinkle with salt, oregano, garlic powder and lemon zest.
Spread on a parchment lined baking sheet in one layer.
Broil in the oven for 5 min on the top rack - keep an eye on them or they will burn quickly!

IMG_9161 IMG_9164
Chopping the croutons and a quick broil.

For the vinaigrette

* balsamic vinegar
* olive oil
* dried oregano
* honey dijon mustard, to taste
* salt and pepper, to taste

Mix the vinegar, olive oil, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper to make a vinaigrette.

Assembling the salad
* ½ a red pepper, diced small
* 4" section of cucumber, diced small
* 1 small tomato, diced small
* ½ an avocado, diced small
* small piece of feta, diced small
* ½ a handful of olives, sliced

Place
all the vegetables, feta and olives in a bowl.
Pour the vinaigrette onto the vegetables and mix well.
Right before serving, add the pita croutons, and mix in - so they don't get soggy.
Tada!

IMG_9166
Chopped components of the salad.

IMG_9167
Healthy and also tasty!

No comments: