Saturday, September 26, 2009

Elgin Street Diner (Ottawa)

374 Elgin Street
Ottawa, Ontario
613.237.9700
website

On my last day in Ottawa, my sister and I headed out for breakfast, before she started classes and before my long drive back to Hamilton. My sister suggested going to the popular Elgin Street Diner. If you ever go for breakfast here on the weekend, you will likely have to wait in line. However, we were there on a Wednesday morning and there was no waiting involved.

IMG_8833

IMG_8835
I love the authentic diner furniture.

I had been to this diner once before and my one memory was not really liking the mashed up, home fries. What I did not remember was the prices of the breakfast combos. Slightly higher than I expected but not too bad since they all include coffee. We both got the breakfast special ($7.99) that included two eggs, bacon, home fries and baked beans. I actually liked the home fries this time, mainly because of a spice in it - I think fennel. I'm not a fan of baked beans but did not mind them either (although I definitely did not eat all of it!).

IMG_8836
Breakfast special for $7.99.

I was tempted to try out the hangover special, which includes poutine instead of home fries. However, I couldn't justify the extra $4. I'm glad I didn't because there was no way I could have finished it. Maybe next time, when I have a more empty stomach and a fuller wallet.

Elgin Street Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments: