Monday, September 28, 2009

Corn Soup with Dill

It's been corn season for a month or so and I've been on a corn kick! I've had it on the cob (for quick cooking, run an ear through water and microwave for 5 minutes), slathered with scallion oil, as a salad, added to chili or quickly stir fried with some onion. There's nothing like eating sweet corn at the end of the summer, so much so, that I decided to cut kernels and freeze them for the winter.

IMG_8854

Freezing Corn
I really like canned corn but I don't like the added sugar to it. Frozen corn has no sugar added but I don't like it as much - mainly because it's not as sweet. I thought I could save some sweet summer corn by freezing them myself! I'll find out this winter if it was worth the effort.

Slice off
kernels off the cob with a large knife, into a bowl.
Save the core of the corn for vegetable broth.
Separate the kernels with your hands.
On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spread the kernels.
Freeze overnight or until they get hard.
Put kernels in a bag and place in the freezer.
Enjoy when corn is no longer in season.

IMG_8843 IMG_8842
Slicing kernels off for freezing.

Corn Soup with Dill
I remember this recipe from my days living with ex-roommie Trapezista. I really liked the unusual pairing of corn with dill. The recipe was originally a cream of corn but I replaced the cream with milk. Feel free to make it creamier with... cream! Using skim milk made the soup rather runny, but still enjoyable nonetheless. Adding a cooked potato does help thicken the soup.

oil
1 small onion, chopped small
2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup dill
salt and pepper, to taste
5 cups veggie stock
1 bay leaf
1 cooked potato
½ tsp dry rosemary
½ tsp dry basil
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 cup milk (or cream)

Sauté the onion in oil.
Add the corn, garlic and dill.
Season with salt and pepper.
Pour in the stock and add the bay leaf.
Add the cooked potato, rosemary, basil and mustard.
Pour in the milk.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
Blend if you'd like (I just realized writing this that I totally neglected this step!).
Tada!

IMG_8848
Corn and dill.

IMG_8855
The sweetness of the corn should really come through!

1 comment:

laptop memory said...

Hey man that was really a fantastic blog you share with us, its really a nice and for all who read this nice blog..