Friday, July 10, 2009

Homemade Soy Milk (Sữa Đậu Nành)

When I visited my mom, I asked her to make sữa đậu nành (soy milk). I have a very clear picture from my childhood, of my mother crouched in our little apartment, squeezing out soy milk. Now that soy milk is readily available, my mom has not made it in years. It was amazing to realize how easy it is, just a few simple steps and no additives.

Homemade Soy Milk (Sữa Đậu Nành)
The soy milk can be flavoured with whatever you like. We used leftover pandan leaves my mom had in the freezer. You could add some vanilla extract instead.

* 300 g soy beans
* 8 cups of water
* ¾ cup sugar, optional or to taste
* flavour to taste, vanilla or pandan leaves

Soak soy beans overnight.
Drain the beans.
Blend one cup of beans with 2 cups of water, and put through a cloth bag.
Extract the liquid by twisting the bag.
Repeat until all the soy beans have been used up.
Place the liquid in a pot and bring to a boil.
Turn the heat down.
Add sugar and the flavouring of your choice.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
Let cool.
Store in fridge.
Tada!


Soy beans that have been soaked are blended with water.


The mixture is poured into a cloth bag and sieved through.


Cook the soy milk (I completely forgot to take a picture of the final product. Oops!).

9 comments:

Gastronomer said...

Your mom is so rad it's not even funny. Where can I buy fresh soy beans? Does it come in a package?

Miss.Adventure said...

Yeah, we bought the soy beans in a package at an Asian store. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find it elsewhere since soy beans seem to be everywhere.

Pump's Adventures said...

Thanks for sharing the soy milk recipe. I remember you talking about your Mom making soy milk. I will have to give it a try sometime.

Par said...

When I make soy milk, I don't really measure the soy beans.
But I'm going to give your recipe a try, how much is 300g in cups?

Miss.Adventure said...

Sky: I'm not sure. The package was 300g. Maybe a cub? However,you can definitely just approximate the equivalent in volume!

anemia said...

Hi...
Soy milk is very good for health. Soy milk contains only vegetables proteins. It contains no lactose. It also contains the prebiotic sugars stachyose and raffinose, which boost immunity and help decrease toxic substances in the body. Soy milk contains no hormones and reduces cholesterol. Also, it is rich in isoflavones, which facilitate reduction of cholesterol, easing of menopause symptoms, prevention of osteoporosis and reduction of risk for certain cancers.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
zgirl said...

Hi,
I am looking for pandan leaves to make some Malaysian dessert and I wonder where you can find it. I live in Dunnville, ON..which is not too far from Hamilton.
Thanks

Miss.Adventure said...

Hi zgirl, I haven't checked specifically for pandan leaves but I suspect one of the Asian stores in Hamilton would have them. There's one on Queen St near the corner of Cannon/York and B&T on Park near Cannon. Good luck!