Thursday, May 21, 2009

House & Home's Lime Cheesecake Tarts

I like to chat with my old roommate D on Facebook. Sometimes it revolves around food. During one of those food chats, she suggested I should write a post on Lime Cheesecake because she wanted the recipe. I told her I could just send her the recipe but she wanted nice pictures too. So this post is dedicated to dear old D!



I got this recipe from my Canadian House & Home, May 2002 issue. I have made these often since then. For anyone who likes lime flavoured treats, this is a great addition to your citrus repertoire. It's a pretty light tasting and tangy treat and using store bought tart shells makes this recipe very easy to make.

Lime Cheesecake Tarts
Although the recipe states it makes 12 tarts, I have always found to have leftover filling. I think the filling could be stretched out to up to 18 tarts!

* 18 3"-diametre prepared tart shells in foil cups
* 8 oz. cream cheese
* ½ cup granulated sugar
* 1 tsp cornstarch
* 1 large egg
* ¼ cup fresh lime juice
* grated zest of one lime
* green food colouring - I added about 2 drops but start with one and see how you like the colour

Place the frozen tart shells on a baking sheet and prick each with a fork.
Bake at 350F for 10 minutes and set aisde.
In a mixing bowl, with a hand-held mixer on low speed, cream together cream cheese, sugar, then beat in cornstarch, egg, lime juice, zest and food colouring.
Fill each of the tart shells with cheese mixture.
Bake the tarts on the middle rack at 350F for 20-22 minutes until filling is puffed and set.
Remove the tarts from oven and let cool on a rack.
Tada!



My sister L added slices of lime. The recipe called for soft-candied lime zest and whipping cream.

2 comments:

Gastronomer said...

These are so cute and dainty! I'm likin' the flecks of zest. I'm not likin' the food coloring ;-)

Miss.Adventure said...

My sister didn't like the colour addition either but I like that it's green!