Thursday, March 5, 2009

Broccoli with Garlic

One of my favourite recipe for broccoli is very simply with garlic and dried chili flakes. I was inspired by a salad recipe in The Barefoot Contessa cookbook. The recipe calls for whole cloves of garlic and I like it sliced. It is very simply but so tasty. It definitely is NOT for those who dislike garlic. But who dislikes garlic?? I probably have this once a week as a side dish.



Broccoli with Garlic
Broccoli can be replaced by other vegetables, like rapini. Sometimes I also like to throw in some turkey sausage. You can also add in some pasta to make a meal out of it, like the dish I made with swiss chard. If you are to make a pasta dish, use more olive oil to also coat the pasta. I like to pre-cook the broccoli to ensure it is properly cooked (overcooked broccoli are the worst!).

* 1 garlic clove, smashed and sliced
* olive oil
* salt
* 1-2 heads of broccoli, cut into pieces and cooked.

Cook broccoli in boiling water for 1-2 minute.
Drain and set aside.
Heat up some olive oil on medium in a pan.
Add garlic and cook until brown.
Add some salt and chili flakes.
Add broccoli and stir until the broccoli is coated with the oil.
Tada!


The two key ingredients: broccoli and garlic.


A healthy side dish full of iron.

No comments: