Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Roasted Chickpeas

I obviously like eating, being a food blogger. I run so I can eat more but that's not sufficient. Therefore, I also try to eat healthy during the week. Weekends are for splurging! (I used to be on Weight Watchers and I still retain some of the things I learned there.) I really like snacking and if I could eat anything it would be potato chips (or cheesies), eaten alternatively with chocolate and cookies. For a post on a healthy recipe, this is not a good start...



A healthy snack that addresses my salty and crunchy cravings is Roasted Chickpeas that I got from Shape magazine. Not only will it help with your craving, but it’s also a great source of protein and fibre.

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas (from Shape magazine)
The key to having crunchy chickpeas is to dry each chickpea very well beforehand and baking them sufficiently. The seasoning is just a suggestion. You could pretty much put anything you like.

* 1 can of chick peas, drained and patted dry
* salt
* garlic powder
* cayenne pepper
* dry oregano (or whatever spices you like)
* olive oil (ideally sprayed)

Drain and rinse chickpeas.
Pat them dry with a towel. (I used to use paper towel but am trying to reduce my paper usage and a dish towel works perfectly without any waste!)
Bake in the oven at 400F on parchment paper for about 40 minutes or until crisp. (Parchment paper can also be re-used if you're trying to reduce paper usage.)
Take them out while they're hot and place in a bowl.
Spray with olive oil (so the seasoning sticks), add all of the spices and mix well.
Tada!

Note: These can be saved in a container for up to a week, IF they last that long!!

Drying chickpeas on a dish towel

Nicely roasted chickpeas.

No comments: